Senior Scientist, In vivo Pharmacologist
Galecto, Inc. is a clinical stage biotechnology company committed to the development of novel small molecule therapeutics directed at biological targets which are at the heart of fibrosis and cancer. It has recently completed a successful IPO on Nasdaq US and raised more than $150 million in 2020 to accelerate development of its clinical pipeline and support preparations for potential EU conditional approval of GB0139 in IPF and multiple new Phase 2 clinical trials.
Galecto was founded by leading fibrosis-focused scientists and biotech executives and is built on more than 10 years of research into galectin and fibrosis modulators. Our team has developed a deep understanding of the galectin family of proteins and the LOXL2 enzyme, and how both influence multiple biological pathways of these complex, often devastating, diseases.
Based in Edinburgh, UK, with potential travel across the EU and to the United States, working closely with colleagues within Medicinal Chemistry, Nonclinical, Clinical and Regulatory Affairs, the Senior Scientist in in vivo pharmacology will have specific responsibility for the start up and running of Galecto’s new laboratory at NINE Bioquarter.
- Development, optimization and validation of in vivo models of target mechanisms in fibrotic diseases and oncology
- Design, implementation and analysis of bespoke experiments to answer specific project related questions
- Coordination internally within Galecto and with partner CROs to ensure delivery of high-quality data and reports from in vivo models run at a range of CROs to enable progression of Galecto’s projects
- Monitoring of the selected CROs to ensure appropriately high ethical standards are maintained for all in vivo work
- Data analysis, record keeping and reporting of results in lab notebooks, nonclinical reports and corporate databases to agreed timelines
- Oral presentations of results at project and company meetings
- Maintaining an awareness of relevant literature
- PhD in pharmacology or similar bioscience. Scientific background and experience in Industry discovery (+3 years) preferable.
Skills & Experience
- Ability to design and execute in vivo experiments
- Proven ability to meet strict timelines
- Track record of building and delivering high quality translational in vivo data packages to support nomination of candidate molecules
- Strong first-hand knowledge of all aspects of the use and applicability of in vivo models within an industrial drug R&D setting
- Small molecule drug discovery and development experience
- Proven ability in managing CROs to deliver high quality in vivo data
- Experience of the effective application of statistics in interpretation of in vivo experimental data is an essential
- Strong knowledge of the application of the 3Rs principles and of relevant legislation
- Previous experience in the fibrosis or oncology therapeutic areas is preferred
As the preclinical area within Galecto expands, we are looking for a highly motivated and skilled Senior Scientist, In vivo Pharmacologist to help drive the drug discovery projects at our new laboratory facilities within NINE Edinburgh Bioquarter. This position will be central to the set-up and running of our new laboratory facilities. The post holder will collaborate closely with our Stevenage office/laboratories in the Stevenage Bioscience Catalyst, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, UK. This role offers the unique opportunity to be part of, and obtain experience in, the drug discovery process from preclinical through to the clinical phases at a dynamic and growing biotech company. The position reports to the Director of Research.
- Highly motivated
- Proactive and driven
- An open communicator and influencer
A competitive salary package including annual bonus.
Place of work will be NINE Bioquarter in Edinburgh UK but there will be regular travel between our labs in Stevenage Bioscience Catalyst. Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
Please submit your application and CV in English marked “Senior Scientist, In vivo Pharmacologist” to email@example.com.
Applications must be received no later than January 29, 2021.